Saturday, November 27, 2010

Can a Business Family use Social Networking

Social Networking – a term that sent shudders up my spine.

Thoughts of random tweets about lunch specials; unwanted romance details, or worse – stupid comments on the day’s hot topics or mindless meanderings. Networks like Facebook where young college students make stupid political comments and posting of pictures that will haunt them in their employment careers; or long-lost friends who found me (except I wish they would have stayed “lost”). Sure, there are good things about these social networks – I do get to see pictures of friends who live far away and catch up on their lives. I can find out about my high school reunion, what the flavor of the day is at my local Rita’s Water Ice, and whatever else I want to know about my favorite store or tv program. But is social networking really for me?

Well – maybe there is a way to use social networking to my advantage. As with any invention or technology, there are good uses and misuses. I’ve already given several examples above of “good” uses in my personal life.

But what about in my professional life?

Bill Roberts, in an article for HR Magazine entitled ‘Developing A Social Business Network’, has identified several major organizations whose HR Departments are effectively using Social Networking. By setting up their own networking sites, they are able to communicate new initiatives in the company, allow employees in different geographical locations to “connect, communicate and collaborate”. This internal opportunity to connect, benefit both the employees and the company.

So how could social networking help a family business?

By connecting with other family businesses from around the world, families can discuss issues that are important to them and subsequently benefit from the collective knowledge of Business Families. Business Families can share with other Business Families how they navigated turbulent issues. The issues you face in your family business are probably similar to issues faced by many other families in businesses. Networking with other Businesses Families may provide answers and insights to your questions and issues.

Why not give it a try? www.netfamilybusiness.com

1 comment:

  1. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog. I bookmarked it for continuous visit.
    html5 audio player| html5 audio player

    ReplyDelete