Thursday, September 16, 2010

A FAMILY BUSINESS MUST BE AWARE OF THE HUMAN RESOURCES ISSUES

"Even With Family, It Has To Be All Business"

Jacqueline Shulman, Partner - Labor Relations & Employment Law Department of Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell & Hippel LLP stated in the September 13th on-line educational seminar with The Network of Family Businesses that Family Businesses are not exempt from Labor and Employment laws. Jackie defined the need to understand what being an At-Will employer means and continued by outling the alphabet list of laws and policies that Families must educate each of their supervisors as well as each family member. She stated that by not following the law and / or not having appropriate policies in place, individual family members may not be protected by the corporate veil and may be held personally liable for failure to comply.

Jackie concluded her seminar by reminding the Membership of these important points every Family Business must remember:

There is No special dispensation for Family Businesses.

It is easy to file a Discrimination Claim!

You can be sued Personally!

It is Your job to Act Professionally (set the tone for your staff)!

Unions like Family Businesses too!

If it “feels good” – it may be best not to act until you check with HR or your labor attorney.

In a Check-List For Every Family Member, Shulman provided questions that each Family member must ask his or herself:

Would I want my actions reported on Action News or in the newspaper?

Would I act the same way in front of my spouse, partner, child or parent?

Would I want to talk about my actions at the dinner table?

Would I want my children to hear about my conduct?

Would I want someone to act this way towards my spouse/partner/child?

Am I treating others as I would want to be treated?

Would I describe my conduct as “ACTING IN A PROFESSIONAL MANNER”?

More information on Shulman’s comments and seminar is available by registering at www.netfamilybusiness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment